Saturday, May 21, 2016

Just saw some bees in the 'hood

I was out for a walk in the neighborhood today. While passing the power line greensward I looked at some black raspberry canebreaks to see how this years crop was going. Lo and behold, there were 4 or 5 honeybee-like insects feeding on the blooms.

It has been a few years since I have seen honeybee types in this area. We have the occasional Carpenter bees looking for some real wood to drill nests into, but no smaller bees. To see that many bees was a heartening sight.  I am pretty sure they are honeybees, though I did not attempt to catch one or get too close. As a child I lived with an apple orchard and am familiar with honeybees and hives.

So, despite the fact that bees in this area have been sorely affected by Colony Collapse, there do seem to be some wild bees left.  They pretty much have to be wild since there aren't any nearby locations that would call for commercial hive placement.

All is not lost, nature goes on despite the worst efforts of humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment